Monday, April 18, 2011

Wheelus Miscellaneous Stuff

No making fun of what I have held onto all these years, but it is interesting and hopefully you will still enjoy seeing them.

(Single left click on each photo to enlarge. To go to the next photo, click on the photo itself or the small photos at the bottom; but if you do that you won't get my commentary for each photo. To go back to the post click anywhere in the black space to the left or right of the photo or the 'X' in the upper right corner of the black box. [Google changed something and made a mess; plus the photos do not get as big as they used to].
(To the right of the map is the blog archives. Click on Wheelus Photos, Wheelus Photos Part 2 & Wheelus Photos Part 3 for additional photos). 


I borrowed this from the Flight 
Surgeons office.  The small red 
line about a 1/4 of the way 
from the middle left is my 
barracks - S702. It's hard to 
see, but just to the right of 
the hospital (Medical Facilities 
on the map) is AFRTS (S803). 
I used to walk by it every 
time I went to work. 
They are hard to read, but 
the 4 areas listed at the top, from 
R to L are: fuel storage, recreation 
(it points to an area just 
above supply), airmen 
housing & family housing.




The Libyan flag used from 1951 to 1969




The customs form we 
had to fill out.




As you can see, 
I was rolling in cash !




My orders for the 36 bed 
Air Transportable Hospital




All those 'invited' to attend. 
Recognize anyone ?




Military Payment Certificate or MPC (back)




MPC (front)




Libyan pound (front).
If you believe what you read 
on the internet, it was worth 
about $2.80 in 1967.




Libyan pound (back).




Libyan coins.  
If I did my math correctly, 
that would make the 100 
milliemes about $.28, the 
50 about $.14, the 20 about 
$.06, the 10 about $.03 
and the 5 about a penny.




I don't remember going to this.




The back.




Haven't broken it yet.




Actually bottled in Tripoli.




This was for the hospital.




A note from the hospital commander.




Looks pretty good.  
The question is - was it...??





In the post 'Wheelus Photos Part 3,' 
there is a photo of a sidewalk 
cafe (4th from bottom). That is 
where I 'borrowed' this glass from. 
It is 5" tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment